Saturday 13 February 2010

The other side of living on a boat

Last night I went to the barge "Tourmente" owned by Jean-Marc SAMUEL, one of the two men doing the work on Carmen.  It is fitted out as a meeting place where events are organised by an association (http://www.letourmente.overblog.com/).  Jean-Marc had invited me to watch a film « Walter retour en résistance » A film by Gilles Perret.  Walter had been a member of the resistance during the war (for which he was eventually sent to Dachau). 
I did not know but after the war President DeGaule involved the Commitee National de Resistance in setting out the new laws for France.   As these laws are being watered down by politicians Walter has continued to campaign for freedom and to encourage others, including children to watch out for and resist this dilution.  The film was quite facinating though my French could not follow everything (particularly the children).  Afterwards the discussion was even more facinating as clearly many French consider their rights are being very much diluted by the present government.  Some communes will not allow this film to be shown.

However when I returned to Carmen after 11pm she was cold and the temperature was dropping fast.  It was clear that the heating had failed.  The temperature outside was probably about minus 5deg C.  This is the last sort of thing you want when returning home having had a few glasses of wine and just wanting one's bed. In the end I traced the problem to a lack a central heating system water pressure.  I concluded this was because we had taken out three radiators in the back cabin in order for the work to commence.  I knew the terminations were leaking but I thought it was very little.  When I repressurised the system which happens in the kitched, I heard water running in the rear cabin.   It was spraying everywhere including over Jean-Marc's tools.   To stop this leak I had to reconnect the radiators but in unaccustomed positions just in order to stop the leaking.  I got to bed at 2.30am.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment